Demand for food products continues to grow, and with increasing demand comes increasing pressure from regulations to ensure food is handled, transported, stored and displayed safely. One of the biggest safety concerns is maintaining proper temperature throughout the cold chain cycle. Proper temperature is very important for safety, and becoming more important to ensure the high product quality with a maximum shelf life. Now more than ever, distributors and retailers need to take appropriate steps to ensure food products are handled at proper temperatures.
With this current trend, there is increased pressure on transportation companies and distributors to be faster and more efficient … and most importantly … to continue providing safe handling of food products not only for public benefit but also as required by federal law … FSMA … the Food Safety Modernization Act.
What does this mean for you … the transportation provider?
It means you may have possible liability if you …
- Cannot ensure products are maintained at the proper temperature
- Cannot provide records that the temperature has been properly maintained
- Rely solely on the reefer microprocessor temperature readings
- Are doing multi-stop loads that increase the risk of temperature changes
How can you reduce the potential liability?
- Have SOPs in place for the handling process
- Ensure that your team is following the SOPs
- Invest in technology to remotely monitor temperatures with alerts for changes
- Implement processes to ensure SOPs are followed
- Monitor a complete view of the trailers operating environment, including integration with Thermo King and Carrier units, and concurrently the functions that monitor product temperature and door events
- Capture product-level temperature monitoring, especially for multi-stop loads where the reefer is sometimes off and doors remain open during deliveries
Want to learn more? Cooltrax can help. Contact us today to learn about our FSMA-compliance solutions.